Thursday, November 1, 2012

Our inner attitudes do not have to reflect out outward circumstances...

Today I stayed home with both kiddo's they weren't feeling well and we all needed a day of rest.  During this  time of rest i continued my efforts to declutter the house.  While cleaning out a closet and the dresser in the living room I came across a notebook with sermon notes from November of 2008.  I did get both things cleaned out but also got some encouragement.  I thought I'd share with you today:

Being Thankful in Difficult Times:

Philippians 4:6-8

6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

8 Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.

1.) Worry about Nothing
v. 6 Don't be anxious about anything.  40% of what we worry about never even happens.  Worry can not change the past or control the future it only messes up your life today.  

Matthew 6: 25-34 tells us not to worry about what you will eat or drink, about your body, or what you will wear.  v 27  reminds us worrying does nothing for us! Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?

2.) Pray about Everything
v.6 but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your request to God. 

God is concerned about everything--
1 Peter 5:7  Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you. 
Matthew 11:28 Come to me all who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.  

Pray with out ceasing! 

3.) Thank God in All Things

People who are thankful are happier and more joyful.  
1 Thessalonians 5:18 Give thanks in all circumstances for this is Gods will for you in Christ Jesus.  

God has a purpose bigger than my problems.  God will give me what I need in that problem.

4.) Think about the Right Things

v.8 Finally brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy-think about such things.  


5.) Experience Peace of Mind
v. 9 And the God of Peace will be with you-- will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus

Our inner attitudes do not have to reflect  out outward circumstances.  

Wow this last statement about our attitudes  not reflecting our outward circumstances really struck me today.  You see yesterday at work first thing some one gave me attitude about something I did trying to be nice for them, now I could have just brushed it off but I didn't instead I allowed it to color my attitude for the whole day.  Let's just say as the day went on it seemed to get worse. I allowed my inner attitude (especially the negativity that I had experienced during the day) to be affected by my outward circumstances.  I could have stewed on it today and repeated it constantly in my head but instead after finding this I an encouraged to allow God to work on my inner attitude!  To allow His truths to penetrate my heart and not to focus on my outward circumstances.  

Christina




No comments:

Post a Comment