Sunday, October 28, 2012

I was thinking....

Today's Sermon was about a Commitment to Excellence and how it starts in our minds.  I got me to thinking about how my thoughts good or bad can direct my whole day!  Our thoughts affect our actions, attitudes, and our words.  The way I think shapes what I do, say and believe.  The enemy has power when we allow him to get into our heads and affect our thoughts.  Right in the middle of this sermon as I am taking notes, reading the scripture, and trying to hear from God my mind wanders, slips and satan uses that opportunity to change my thinking, to cause me to doubt, and it goes on through the afternoon.  

After church, and lunch I head home and that's when the thoughts really begin to run-wild so to speak.  I don't know why I allow satan this power, I mean I know it's him, and I know God is so much bigger than him and yet I allow the thought to wander anyway.  I get in to my "I have to be in control" mode and start "trying" to do God's job and make plans for this unknown future, I begin to think   that maybe it's time to quit, to give up runaway.  (That would be so much easier) Thankfully the sermon notes I wrote down began to come back to me.  

Ephesians 6:10-11 Finally be strong in the Lord and in His might power. Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devils schemes.  That's exactly what I needed to do put on the armor of God.  His truth!  

Psalm 119:11 Your Word I have treasured in my heart, that I may not sin against you.  
  
  We are shaped by what we think about the most. Another way I like to think about it is what I put into my mind and even my body is what will come out.  Kinda like I wouldn't let my kids only eat candy all day everyday it's not good for them, it won't give them the nutrients they need to survive each day. So I try to ensure they get a healthy balance of fruit, and veggies to go along with small portions of candy. I didn't they would be tired, and crabby and not able to function properly.  That's how I am when I am not getting enough of God's word in my life.  I get tired, and cranky and can't function properly.  My thoughts begin to wander. Satan is given more power.  I don't want that!  

To combat that I need more of God in my life and less of what the world is trying to force at me.  Even though like candy it may look sweet and even taste sweet at first too much of it is no good.  

Romans 12:2 Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind.  Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is-His good pleasing and perfect will.  


That's what I want... to have my mind (my thoughts) renewed, so that I will know God's will-His good and perfect will.  

So tonight as I got to bed I will focus on that renewing of my mind, with God's word.  Knowing it's not by my strength or power, or works but by God's unfailing Grace.  

Ephesians 4:8  Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.

Christina

No comments:

Post a Comment